CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Horse Cake




Lauren and her class have been studying cowboys over the last couple of weeks. Imagine my surprise when last Wednesday morning she comes to me and tells me that I need to make a horse cake for her class. After questioning her further, I found out that her teacher had asked the class if anyone's mom would be able to make a horse cake for the class and my precious daughter gladly volunteered me. Thankfully, I didn't need it Wednesday...but her teacher did want it on Monday. So, Sunday afternoon, I baked the cake while Bobby ran around town looking for the specific candies that we needed to decorate the cake. Then after church Sunday night, I started icing and decorating the horse. Everything was going great, and I had actually finished the horse without too many difficulties. I happened to glance at the cake while I was washing things up and noticed that the braided licorice that I had used for the bridle & reigns was beginning to pop! I had red licorice strips sticking out all over the cake and I knew there was no way that the licorice would make it until Monday morning. So I began to search through the cabinets looking for something..anything..that I could make into reigns & a bridle. I found Lauren's sour gummy worms and flattened them and stuck them on. They worked! And the kids loved the cake, but I did inform Lauren to not volunteer Mommy unless she talked to me first! And this is my church home page.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Jackie!!! Don't you just love being volunteered :) You did a great job on the cake! Funny story.

SturgillMom said...

Very impressive! I think that I like the gummy worms better than the licorice :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jackie -It's MJ! Got your Christmas Card. We are now living in North Carolina. Andy is an associate pastor at Salem Baptist and I work with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. We have 2 boys Logan (8) and Caleb(5). What a great page you have here and your kids are precious. Here is my new address: 446 Peru Road Sneads Ferry, NC 28460
mjconner@fca.org

SturgillMom said...

Hey Jackie!!! DId you know it is APRIL!?!?!? I love your new template, but I WANT NEW PICTURES!!!!